In today’s economy, for most of us, one of our biggest investments is our home. Regular maintenance helps protect the values of our property & neighborhood.
If you are concerned about keeping your home safe and your homeowner insurance costs down, there are certain strategies you can use to do this. Below are a few tips on how to protect our homes, the contents and also the most valuable commodity that resides in it… our families.
It doesn’t matter how nice your neighborhood is, there can be security issues that can affect your property values. I remember several years back when there was a rash of burglaries and vandalism in the area, including gated communities. We didn’t have as many tech tools then as we do now. Now, with the help of neighbors, technology and local law enforcement, there’s a greater chance that the offenders can be apprehended.
The best way to protect our homes is to be proactive. Some of the action steps we can take now will prevent unwanted occurrences down the road.
- Get to know the neighbors around you, including their pets & children.
- Offer to keep an eye out for them and vice versa.
- Exchange contact information; a cell phone is always handy in case of emergency.
- Consider a home security system, either monitored or self-installed. Insurance companies may give discounts for monitored accounts.
- Check to see if your neighborhood has a website, Facebook page or Nextdoor page. Many neighbors post when there is suspicious activity in the area.
- If you are going away, either ask a neighbor to pick up your newspapers (if you still get them) & mail or put those services on hold. Stacks of papers in the driveway are a dead giveaway that you may be out of town.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police immediately. Time can be of the essence.
- Lock your car doors and don’t leave valuable items out in the open… why invite trouble?